The North Country Council Annual Meeting and Dinner is October 19th
Join us for the North Country Council 2017 Annual Meeting & Dinner October 19th, 2017 at the Mountain View Grand. Please click the link below for more information and to register.
North Country Council
Regional Planning Commission & Economic Development District
North Country Council Regional Planning Commission and Economic Development District is one of nine regional planning commissions in New Hampshire established by RSA 36:46. The Commission’s region consists of serving 51 communities and 25 unincorporated places in the northern third of New Hampshire. The Commission serves in an advisory role to local governments in order to promote coordinated planning, orderly growth, efficient land use, transportation access and environmental protection.
North Country Council’s New Office Location:
161 Main Street, Littleton, NH 03561
On September 1, 2017, we moved to our new location on Main Street in Littleton. Our telephone number has not changed, (603) 444-6303. The North Country Council staff email addresses also remain the same.
If you have any questions regarding North Country Council’s new office location, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help. We look forward to seeing you at our new office location.
The purpose of the Council is to:
- Maintain the identity, uniqueness, and integrity of each community in the region while promoting a spirit of regional cooperation and a sense of regional community.
- Help solve regional issues by making policies, setting priorities, approving programs and projects, and devising the means to carry out decisions.
- Provide a unified voice for the region’s communities on regional issues in relations with the state and federal governments, and to provide assistance to meet state and federal project review and approval procedures.
- Encourage intergovernmental policy planning and coordination, linking local, state, and federal government for effective action.
- Promote widespread public understanding and discussion of regional issues and problems.
- Provide a regional body for a review of the inter-relationships of the needs of the municipalities and counties and propose projects to satisfy such needs.
- Provide planning assistance to local communities as requested by said communities within budget and staff resources.
- Participate actively in the economic development of the North Country, facilitating the formulation of a Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.
A municipality or county may be a member of the Council after paying membership dues. Failure of the municipality or county to pay its assessed dues shall constitute a termination of the municipality’s or county’s vote in Council affairs and the eligibility to appoint Commissioners (formerly called Representatives) to the Council. Members shall pay dues to the Council in accordance with the NHRSA Chapter 36:49.
Municipalities and counties shall be members of the Council on an annual basis.
In towns, Commissioners are nominated by the Planning Board and appointed by the Selectboard. In cities, Commissioners are nominated by the Planning Board and appointed by the City Council. In counties, Commissioners are nominated by the Planning Board, if any, and appointed by the County Commissioners. Municipal Commissioners shall be residents of their communities. County Commissioners shall be residents of the county.
Each member municipality and county shall be entitled to two (2) Commissioners who shall have rights as prescribed by these Bylaws and shall be known and referred to as Commissioners. A municipality with a population in excess of 10,000 in the most recent decennial federal census shall be entitled to a third Commissioner.
The term of office of each Commissioner shall be four years. Any Commissioner may be reappointed upon expiration of the term.
All Commissioners serve without compensation, but may be reimbursed by the Council for necessary and reasonable expenses, as authorized by the Executive Committee.
Powers and Duties of the NCC Commissioners:
- Review, advise on and approve Regional Plans.
- Review, advise on and approve the Housing Needs Assessment.
- Elect the Board of Directors and Officers of the Council from among the NCC Commissioners, at an Annual Meeting of the Council.
- Approve and adopt an Annual Budget and Work Plan.
- Commissioners shall attend meetings of the Council when there is business to conduct.
- Commissioners may serve on Committees of the Council.
- Set the annual municipal and county dues.
- Act as liaison between the municipalities/counties they represent and the Council.
- Keep the Council informed of local issues and interests.
- Approve any changes to the North Country Council Bylaws.